President Donald Trump wouldn’t say whether he had ruled out a military strike against North Korea on Monday, saying only “we’ll see what happens.”
“I don’t want to telegraph what I’m doing or what I’m thinking,” Trump told Fox News’ Ainsley Earhardt. “I’m not like other administrations where they say, ‘We’re going to do this in four weeks.’ It doesn’t work that way. We’ll see what happens. I hope things work out well. I hope there’s going to be peace.”
Vice President Mike Pence, visiting South Korea on Sunday, called North Korea’s failed missile test earlier the same day a “provocation.” On Friday, the Trump administration characterized its strategy toward the country as “maximum pressure and engagement.” A strike group led by the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier made its way last week toward the Korean Peninsula.
Trump also made two references in the interview to “this gentleman” in North Korea, who he said had “outplayed” both Presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama. The late North Korean ruler Kim Jong Il died in 2011. His son, Kim Jong Un, is the country’s current ruler.
“But, you know, they’ve been talking with this gentleman for a long time,” Trump said. “You read Clinton’s book, he said, ‘Oh, we made such a great peace deal,’ and it was a joke. You look at different things over the years with President Obama. Everybody has been outplayed, they’ve all been outplayed by this gentleman. And we’ll see what happens. But I just don’t telegraph my moves.”